In 2015, Brock began working with a specialized group of universities, sports testing labs, Ph.D. scientists, engineers, horticulturists, and other sports science experts to develop a viable and sustainable solution to replace rubber infill for artificial turf. The result, Brockfill™, has been installed on 10 million ft2 of turf in the US since its launch in 2019.
To market and export the new product to Europe, an additional process was required to sterilize the product per international regulations. The process involves a heat treatment that destroys invasive species such as insects and plant pathogens to prevent their spread.
Carrier/CPEG Processing Equipment Considered:
- Spiral Elevator – Carrier Vibrating Equipment
- Fluid Bed Dryer – Carrier Vibrating Equipment
- Rotary Dryer – Heyl Patterson Thermal Processing
- BMHX – Carrier Vibrating Equipment
- Heat wood granules to >133° F and hold for 30 minutes
- Satisfy the international guidelines for exportation
- Select the most economical and efficient processing equipment
- Process a rate of 8 tons / hour
After considering all the Carrier / CPEG thermal technologies for this application, a Bulk Material Heat Exchanger (BMHX) was recommended to meet customer requirements for temperature and residence time. The Bulk Flow Heat Exchanger also satisfied international regulations for sterilizing the material.